Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Paranoia

We haven't been doing anything wild or crazy over the past two days. Monday was cold and rainy, so we didn't go out much. Both Bhavika and I got to go to the gym which was both great and depressing at the same time. We switched off. I went in the morning and she went in the afternoon.

When I got back from the gym, our little guy was hungry so I took over for B as she got ready to head out. After sucking the bottle down, our little piggy found his favorite position and drifted off to sleep.



After a couple of minutes I set him down in his bouncer and decided to do some cleaning around the house. I started with the bathrooms, moved on to the kitchen and finally decided that I needed to vacuum the downstairs.
Kieran was downstairs, and I was worried about waking him up. This is where the crazy, paranoid parent kicks in. I've always had a fear that he couldn't hear very well. I have no basis for this. Like I said... paranoid parent.

I intentionally pass by him with the vacuum. He didn't budge. So I bring it back and keep it right next to him. Nothing. Not even a batting of the eyes.

Let me pause in the story here. I know what some of you may be thinking. Child abuse. No. Our little pamphlet from the hospital about baby's hearing actually tells you to vacuum close to him. So no, it's not child abuse.

Since he's not moving. Not even flinching. I start freaking out. Now the craziness really kicks in. I go and get a pan and a wooden spoon. I get within 5 feet of him and hit the pan with the spoon.

Dooonnnngggg!

He throws his little arms up in the air, opens his eyes, wrinkles his brow, then goes right back to sleep. What the hell daddy?!

I felt sooo bad, but I had to do it. I just freaked out when he didn't move with the vacuum cleaner so close. I guess he's just a heavy sleeper and that's not a bad thing.

That's my crazy story for the week. Don't worry readers. There are plenty more where that came from.

Here's me trying to make it up to him later that night. He's still got some love for daddy.


2 comments:

mthaival said...

So hysterical, I like to think we all go through this paranoia at first. When Maya was about Kieran's age I was upstairs getting her dressed when she started looking purple to me. Freaking out, I ran down the stairs to ask Pradeep if baby girl was turning purple, which in my mind was a sign she was having trouble breathing. Well, after freaking out I realized it may have had something to do with the purple onesie I had just put on her. Anyway, we love your blog and are glad you guys are doing so well! Your little man is adorable :)

Soma said...

haha - we did the same bang-the-pot thing, got the same startle-reflex and felt relieved and guilty at the same time! too funny!