I know we haven't posted this week, and I'm sorry for that. It was Bhavika's first week without anyone here, and I was busy with work trying to get ready for this coming week off. We'll catch you up with things. This next one is all talk. Sorry, no pics.
Warning! The following contains allusions to "pee pees" and may not be suitable for young audiences.
So daddy's been pulling the 3 AM shift a lot this past week. None of them went smoothly, and a 30 minute process typically turned into a 2 hour visit. Each experience was "unique", but Wednesday night was of particular interest.
I stumble into his room at 3 AM. He's starting to get revved up as I start to fumble with that damn zipper on his sleepsack. Great invention, but they can be a pain in the you-know-what when you're half asleep.
I finally get it off, and we sit down into the chair to eat. About two minutes in I hear squealing tires followed by a collision. I think someone has hit a parked car on our street, but I don't see anything. After looking around and finding nothing, we sit back down and finish things up.
We walked around for about 10 minutes so he can "finish his bizness" before I change him and get him back in bed. As I take the diaper off, I see that he's not quite done. I grabbed a handy present from a co-worker, the pee-pee tee-pee (thanks Rose) and proceeded to let him wrap things up.
I suddenly see bright lights coming from another bedroom in the house. I'm thinking it's either E.T. coming to phone home or someone is in our backyard. I go to the window and see another car in our backyard. Yes another car, it happened a few years ago and is a story for another time and place.
For those of you that haven't been to our house, we have a street that is about 150 feet behind our house, and there's a curve in the road about 100 feet before you get to our house. Apparently someone missed the curve, veered off the road, took out a few evergreen trees and ended up at the bottom of the embankment for the road. The lights are from the police cruisers that are checking things out.
I'm watching this for about 2 minutes... by myself. Yes I know, bad daddy! Never leave a baby on the changing table unattended. I'm new and it was 3:30. And yes, he taught me a lesson for being negligent.
As I'm staring out the window, I begin to hear water running. Hmm. Bhavika's asleep (I wake her up later and tell her that we have another car in our backyard, she falls back asleep the first time). I go back to Kieran to see that he has freed his pee pee from the tee pee and is playing "sprinkler" on the changing table. Let me tell you, he's got some distance with that thing. He looked right at me, and I swear he smiled.
Some people would get mad. Some people would freak out. I just covered his little pee pee with my hand and started to chuckle to myself. This was his way of telling me to never leave him unattended when the luggage wasn't properly stowed. The worst (or best) is that it doesn't end here.
Since he sprayed himself a bit, I had to clean him off. So I strip him down, wrap him in a big towel and start wiping him down. This always gets him going, so now he's wide awake and squirming all over the place as I try to get a diaper on.
You know what's coming next.
He scrunches his shoulders and proceeds to have a movement on the changing pad and also partially on the new outfit I just pulled out for him. Again, I swear that he starts to smile at me as he's doing this.
Finally, we get cleaned up... again. The good thing is that he's now satisfied and starting to drift to sleep. I get the sleepsack back on him and put him back in his crib. In five minutes he's out.
I head back to the window just in time to see the car being pulled up onto a tow truck. The police drive off. The tow truck drives off.
Finally, balance had been restored in the Groves household.
Sunday, May 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Happy Mother's Day Bhavuben,
Hope your first one as a proud mommy is the best one. Hello to James, Love to Kieran. Take care.
Happy Mother's Day B! Great story Dog. Still can't believe you had another car in the back yard. You are going to have to put up a guard rail.
Post a Comment