Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Visiting Grandma at Work

This past week was the start of a new chapter in Kieran's life. Bhavika has continued to transition back into her work, so she went into the office part time 3 days this past week. This means that Kieran started daycare. We're lucky though because he goes to the center where my mom works, so it made the transition a bit easier for all three of us. It's a bit upsetting to think of him going to daycare when he's still so young, so I like to refer to as visiting grandma at work.

Monday was his first day, and it was a bit hectic in the Groves/Desai household that morning. We were both nervous that he wouldn't wake up in time to eat which of course would mean that he'd have a breakdown on our way there or shortly thereafter. Of course there's the guilt factor that we were both dealing with too.

I woke up early so I could be ready to feed and get him ready so B could take her time. Kieran decided to take pity on us and timed his needs perfectly. He started to stir just as I finished getting ready. I went to fetch him from his crib, and he flashed this big smile and let out a little chuckle as if to say, "Good morning daddy. I know what you're doing, so I'm going to look extra cute so you don't leave me at daycare." That's how it translated in my head anyway.

He sucked down his bottle and was a good little. By this time B came in to finish getting him ready, so I could go grab a quick bite before we left. Hoping to leave by 7, we walked out the door at about 7:15. Oh well... at least he ate.

We made it to his school, and I could tell that B was starting to get upset. She immediately said that he didn't sleep at all on the way there (we took separate cars). "He always sleeps in the car. He knows we're leaving him!" "No, he's just excited to see grandma," I said.

We walked into his room, and he was the second one there. My mom was there waiting for him. We took some photos. B cried. My mom cried. Kieran, meanwhile, was having a good time checking out a new bouncer. I could go into other mushy, sentimental things, but I'll spare you all. Overall it was a difficult day for the Groves family. At least for two of us anyway.






2 comments:

Soma said...

bless your hearts! I cried too, with K - and that was at 3.5 months! It's great that Grandma is there - very nice!

Hema said...

So glad you got through this tough milestone in one piece! Such a cute family photo!